…and the easiest, perfect Valentine’s Day dessert.
It’s February, the month of romance, so it’s time to talk about LOVE. There is a lot of research out there about what can increase your sex-drive such exercising and communication but possibly one of the biggest effects on how your body is functioning is diet. Now, I’ve only been married for six years so I’m not one to throw in all these ideas about how to make your sex life better, I want to hear it from someone who’s been married for over 20 years, but I can speak to natural foods that can help increase libido as it seems less preachy, and hey, I’m just stating the facts!
1. Watermelon: Watermelon contains citrulline, a compound that helps the body relax blood vessels, boosting blood flow. Watermelon also has more lycopene than tomatoes, and lycopene has the ability to relax blood vessels and improve circulation to certain, ahem, areas of the body.
2. Pine Nuts: Pine Nuts are a great source of zinc, which is associated with increasing sex drive, woohoo! This is also why Oysters are known for their aphrodisiac qualities, they are high in zine as well.
3. Spinach: Spinach is rich in magnesium, a mineral that decreases inflammation in blood vessels, increasing blood flow and increased blood flow drives blood to the extremities. Basically, it’s like natural viagra!
4. Spices: Cinnamon and Nutmeg are sometimes used as an aphrodisiac because just the smell of these spices could improve your mood, soothe nerves, and spark your sex drive. Additionally, hot peppers increase your metabolism and stimulate endorphins, which can make you sweat and send blood to all the right areas! Ginger would also fall into this category because it aids in blood flow.
5. Steak: Red-meat also contains a ton of zinc and protein, and we know that protein enhances energy and endurance but it also helps stimulate the release of dopamine, a neurotransmitter that controls the brain’s reward and pleasure centers. The number one cause of your sex life taking a back burner is fatigue, so adding extra iron to your diet can also increase your energy.
6. Dark-Chocolate: I’m sure you’ve read this before and its true, chocolate contains a compound called phenylethylamine, which triggers the release of endorphins and dopamine. The same is released after a great work-out! We all know that happiness in the bedroom usually means happiness outside of the bedroom so grab that chocolate any time of day to improve your mood!
7. Asparagus: Asparagus is high in folate, a B vitamin that regulates the production of histamine (fun fact: Did you know that histamine is the chemical released during an orgasm?)
8. Walnuts: Walnuts contain omega 3 fatty acids which are healthy fats that boost dopamine and also L-arginine, an amino acid that increases the production of nitric oxide, which relaxes blood vessels and increases circulation. So we can also add avocado, salmon, and tuna to this list as well.
9. Chickpeas and other beans: Chickpeas deliver roughly 28% of the daily requirement for Vitamin B6. B6 helps keep estrogen levels in check, thereby supporting healthy testosterone levels. Kidney beans are also very rich in L-arginine (like walnuts) and I read that L-arginine improves female desire, satisfaction, and frequency of sex. Yes, please.
10. Bananas: Bananas are a great source of potassium, a critical nutrient for muscle contraction (*cough* orgasm *cough*). Potassium also helps to counteract the effects of foods high in sodium which decrease blood flood. Also, bananas naturally contain bromelain, which helps produce testosterone. Women with higher sex drives usually have higher testosterone levels.
With all the above being said, may I recommend a steak dinner topped with pine nuts and a side of asparagus? We shall end with a spicy chocolate bar!
If you want some added color for dessert, visit this blog post to make these super simple dark chocolate-covered strawberries! YUM!
*The 10 foods that I have listed above were taken from 7 similar stories online, I cross-referenced the 10 foods that repeated most frequently on each list.
Like This? Re-Pin Here: