I am sorry to report that it looks like it will be another long week indoors. Wahhh wahhhh. My house is starting to look like a Pinterest inspiration board but it’s the only way to stay sane between storms and days upon days stuck inside. My kids have the amazing perk of visiting family in Southern California which is a blessing and a curse. We get bits of escaping the snow but then it’s bittersweet leaving after they have been spoiled outdoors for a few days. This last week, I brought a little bit of the outdoors into our home and it was the perfect activity that lasted an HOUR! Neat freak Mamas beware, this can be messy but the happy squeals coming from your kiddos make all the mess worth it. You can also turn this into a great sensory bin by adding small toys for the kids to discover and add a fun game “how many buttons can you find?” etc.
Have Fun With SPACE SAND!
- 8 cups flour
- 1 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- Optional: food coloring
- Large tray (or more for extra kiddos)
- Sand toys or kitchen utensils (we used small Tupperware, roller pin, cookie cutters, spoons, sand buckets, and shovels)
- Large blanket (or big tarp, old bed sheet, or towel which will help in cleaning up)
- Mix the flour, oil, and extract into a large bowl and combine until everything is mixed. You can add a few drops of food coloring to turn this into color-fun!
- Pour into kids tray or divide between 2 trays (or however many kids will be using).
- Place on a tarp, sheet, or large towel.
- Add beach toys or kitchen items for scooping, molding, and digging.
- Optional to add sensory items like buttons, small animal toys, etc. to turn into an “I spy” game.